'Yggdrasill' was the band's second demo (following 1991's feet-finding 'Nema'), showing a young band with great passion & creativity. The songs were understandably raw & contained some traits of the Norwegian wave of black metal sweeping the region at the time, along with their own individual touch. Although more focused on Viking/Norwegian lore than anything satanic, Enslaved's signature sound still captured the magic of the genre with long, hypnotic compositions losing the listener within their vast sonic landscapes.
Enslaved was formed in June 1991 by Ivar Bjørnson and Grutle Kjellson when they were 13 and 17 years old, respectively. The band name was inspired by an Immortal demo track, "Enslaved in Rot". After many line-up changes throughout their career, Bjørnson and Kjellson are the only remaining original members. By 2004 the line-up solidified with guitarist Arve "Ice Dale" Isdal, drummer Cato Bekkevold, and keyboardist/vocalist Herbrand Larsen.READ MORE
- 13/07, Devilstone Open Air - Anyksciai, Lithuania
- 25/07, Metaldays - Tolmin, Slovenia
- 26/07, Rock the City - Bucharest, Romania
- 27/07, Romexpo - Bucharest, Romania
- 02/08, Rauma Rock - Åndalsnes, Norway
- 15/08, Flugplatz - Dinkelsbuhl, Germany
- 17/08, Summer Breeze Open Air - Dinkelsbuhl, Germany
- 31/08, Verket - Mo I Rana, Norway
- 31/10, Rosemount Hotel - Perth, WA, Australia
- 01/11, The Hi-Fi - Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- 02/11, Manning Bar - Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 03/11, The Hi-Fi - Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Enslaved's classic 1992 demo of viking/black metal, 'Yggdrasill', is due to be released January 30th on CD, now with bonus track, plus lyrics & new band liner notes. Pre order HERE. ...16/09/2011
October 31st sees the release of Enslaved’s ‘Yggdrasill’; their classic 1992 demo on limited vinyl, featuring new liner notes written by the band. ‘Yggdrasill’ is a stellar example of the e ...